Monday, August 1, 2011

Painted Striped Rug

I've had a few projects on my Pinterest - DIY to Try board that I've been wanting to try, but was lacking the motivation to do it.  Last week Young House LoveBower Power, Joey and Lana, and Emily Henderson announced the Pinterest Challenge on August 2nd and that's all I needed to get motivated.
This is one of the projects that I fell in love with.  I'm loving the yellow and the stripes.
After painting my sister's zebra rug a couple of weeks ago, she was wanting another rug.  She decided, well, after I convinced her, to try this striped number.  She bought a rug for $19.99 at Big Lots in a cream color.
We taped up varying stripes.  We used the piles of the rugs to determine our lines.  This made it so much easier than having to measure.
We used some leftover paint from her house in a bluish grey color and we painted away.  During our couple of hours painting.
She painted this for me.  Cute, right?
It's sitting on my parents dining room table drying. 
When we got it back to the house, I tried to get a good picture...
Finally, my sister got their attention and sent them to another room.  You could see a bit of the texture of the paint.  We didn't have this issue with the zebra rug.  We are thinking it was the actual rug fibers/materials.  Even with that, it just looks like a natural part of the rug and it came out awesome.  My sister loves it!
One problem, we painted at my parents house while they were on vacation. My sister's kids were running loose as we painted.  We finished painting and ran out of their exhausted.  Yeah, we forgot to clean up.  There were drips of paint all over the glass table and milk left in sippy bottles laying around the house.  We both got a phone call Saturday night...I blamed it all on my sister.  Pure exhaustion, I tell you.  


I'll be linking up to these parties

36 comments:

Cassie Bustamante 8/01/2011  

i love striped rugs! they just have high impact and classic style- great job!

Elisa 8/01/2011  

Love that pattern! Just added it to my own Pinterest board... :D

Lisa 8/01/2011  

This is so pretty! Every time I see these I can't believe how great they turn out!

Ashley 8/01/2011  

This is GENIUS! What a great bargain project! Now, can you make me one?! :)

Emily 8/01/2011  

That is such a pretty rug.

Holly Gruszka 8/01/2011  

Nice work! Looks great!

Trissta 8/01/2011  

Oh, I love blaming stuff on my siblings!! Gets me out of trouble every time! Great job on the rug! I'm definitely wanting to try this now!

Much Love,
Trissta

Tanya Anurag 8/01/2011  

You girls are doing a great job, painting rugs!! If you do a couple of more posts about them, I am pretty sure you'll start getting orders for it ;)

-Tanya
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

Astrid in Bristling Acres 8/02/2011  

I want a rug just like that one! What kind ofd paint did you use?

Maury @ Life on Mars 8/02/2011  

Awesome job! I love it. Just the right amount of color!

Karen @ Lease to Decorate 8/02/2011  

I have been on the hunt for a yellow rug to put in the kitchen. After seeing this, I just may have to paint it myself!

LaLa 8/02/2011  

Wow I totally love this idea and I just checked out your sisters zebra rug you did, AWESOME. I so want to try this.....What kind of rug did you use to paint on? Thanks so much for sharing.

peace

Tammy @ Type A 8/02/2011  

i just love this. you can pick your own colors and really do so much! great tutorial.

beachcomber 8/02/2011  

it looks fantastic, i love it!
x

Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds 8/02/2011  

This looks great! I had a painted rug pinned too. Yours turned out wonderfully!

missflibbertigibbet 8/03/2011  

I am a big fan of the "decorate cheap but look rich" concept. This is a great one! All those designers order rugs in the perfect colorway for the room and we can never seem to achieve the same cohesive look....here is the answer! great job!

Kristen 8/04/2011  

I love the rug! I've pinning this!

Kristen
Turning a House into a Home

Lesley 8/04/2011  

Fantastic. And I don't mean that in the generic " Oh yay. Let's celebrate each other for every single little thing we do " way.
In a " Seriously, you done good " way.

Julia @ 551Eastdesign 8/05/2011  

What a fun idea for a very pretty rug!

Megan Gunyan 8/05/2011  

Shoot, did you get grounded? I'd blame my sister, too. :) I love these stripes, I'm dying to try this! I pinned this project so now I can join the challenge as well. Ha! I'd love for you to share this on my link party today! www.alittleknickknack.com Have a great weekend!

Suzanne@Meridian Road 8/05/2011  

Well, that's fair. It's her rug!
It looks so good! I really want to try this now that I see how great it can turn out.

Stephanie 8/05/2011  

Super duper awesome is all I can say! You two are really getting good at these rugs. This one is so fresh and fun! Yeah, I am wondering too, did you get on restriction?

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 8/05/2011  

I am really going to have to try this painted rug idea! Too too cute. I loved the zebra rug but I love the crispness of this one even more!

gail@My Repurposed Life 8/05/2011  

I love the color and the stripes! I bet she does love it!
gail

abeachcottage 8/06/2011  

What a great idea! Love the stripes and colour!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You 8/06/2011  

gorgeous! amazing idea, thanks for sharing

W and J 8/06/2011  

Love the painted rug! I've been wanting to try this too for awhile.

Carolyn 8/07/2011  

The painted rug looks so good, adds a lot of character. And fun to do also!

Lindsay 8/07/2011  

I LOVE this! You did a great job!

By the way, I am hosting my very first giveaway--a new blog design! Check it out!

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/first-giveaway.html

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS 8/08/2011  

GREAT idea!! Looks amazing!! Looks just like a Dash & Albert rug you'd see featured in Elle Decor! xo

:D Lynda

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime 8/09/2011  

This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

The Ellis' 8/09/2011  

That looks so good. You are so talented! We would love for you to share this at our link party and come enter our free digital scrapbooking software giveaway!

Love,
The Sisters @ Six Sister's Stuff

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/Strut%20Your%20Stuff%20Saturday

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-memories-digital-scrapbooking.html

Kathy 8/09/2011  

This looks fantastic! Terrific job! Very, very creative - liking the idea of the zebra stripe!
My daugher would love this!
Kathy

The Vintique Object 8/11/2011  

Wow, I think you are right. Maybe my rug just needs a few more coats of paint. Yours came out beautifully! (Love that you did random stripes too.)
Camille

Roeshel 8/11/2011  

I love it! I've been wanting to do this too! You did an amazing job! ;)

iconrugs 12/09/2011  

Both are so cute babies. I like these all rugs.
modern rugs

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...